Monday, February 11, 2013

Restaurant review The Lounge, Odeon Whiteleys, Queensway, London.



This isn't the first time, in the course of eating out for this column, that I've found myself spectating while a couple nearby has a full-blown, marriage-threatening row. But it's certainly the first time I've booked a ticket specifically to do so. This week's assignment sees me braving the new frontier of modern dining. I'm having supper in a luxury cinema, watching a Polanski movie from a huge leather seat while eating venison chilli and sipping a mojito. This is possibly the most middle-class thing I've ever done in my life.
A new venture from Odeon cinemas, now premiering at Whiteleys, a shopping centre in west London, this in-movie fine-dining concept is apparently the first of its kind in Europe. We're not just talking snacks here, but proper, restaurant-quality food, from a menu devised by the estimable Rowley Leigh of Le Café Anglais. The launch a few weeks back attracted loads of publicity. So much, in fact, that I dismissed it as a PR stunt.
But it's clear from the scale of the operation and the enthusiasm of all involved that this is a real... thing. They really think people will want to eat a proper meal while watching the latest blockbuster in club-class comfort. A whole floor above the existing Odeon has been Lounge-ified into an enormous bar and five luxury cinemas, with its own purpose-built kitchen and head chef .

No comments:

Post a Comment